Education Portal – Greenhouse Conservation in Scotland
Very few Edwardian greenhouses remain standing and even fewer remain unaltered with original systems in place. AiP is partnering with the owner of the Burgie greenhouse to take on greenhouse conservation of this historic “glasshouse”.
These articles introduce you to this now rare structure and provide background information on greenhouses and glasshouses.
GREENHOUSES – GENERAL INFORMATION
Greenhouses in UK: History & Architecture
- George F. Chadwick, The Works of Sir Joseph Paxton 1803-1865, London: Architectural Press, 1961.
- John Hix, The Glasshouse, London: Phaidon, 1974.
- William J. May, Greenhouse Management for Amateurs, London: Gill, 1885.
- May Woods & Arte Swartz Warren, Glass Houses: A History of Greenhouses, Orangeries and Conservatories, New York: Rizzoli, 1988.
Edwardian Houses and Gardens
- Trevor Yorke, Edwardian House. Original features and Fittings, Newbury, Berkshire: Countryside Books, 2013.
- Anne Jennings, Edwardian Gardens, London: English Heritage, 2005.
- Clive Aslet, The Edwardian country house: a social and architectural history, London: Frances Lincoln Limited, 2012.
BURGIE HOUSE – REFERENCES AND DOCUMENTATION
General Bibliographic References
- Rev. James G. Murray, The book of Burgie, Edinburgh: John Wilson, 1930, pp. 121-122.
- David W. Walker and Matthew Woodworth, The Buildings of Scotland: Aberdeenshire North and Moray, Yale University Press 2015, pp. 447, 495-6, 677.
Construction, Alterations, Rebuilding, Architects Involved
Dates of events following the construction of Burgie House in 1802, such as alterations, rebuilding, etc., and architects involved are listed here (among other important information):
- Burgie House and Lodge. In: DSA, Dictionary of Scottish Architects 1660-1980.
Burgie Greenhouse (1912)
For the architect of the Burgie greenhouse, George James Walker of Aberdeen (1837/38-1914), see here:
- George James Walker. In: DSA, Dictionary of Scottish Architects 1660-1980.
GREENHOUSE CONSERVATION ISSUES
Conservation of Greenhouses
- Robert Jameson, History and Conservation of Victorian and Edwardian Greenhouses and Cold Frames, 2013 [=www.buildingconservation.com].
Conservation of Building Materials Specifically Used in Greenhouses
- Historic England, Practical Building Conservation: Glass and Glazing, Routledge 2012.
- Historic England, Practical Building Conservation: Metals, Routledge 2012.
- Historic England, Practical Building Conservation: Timber, Routledge 2012.
coming soon …
coming soon …