Education Portal – Gjirokastra, Albania
Albania’s architectural heritage is a mystery to most of us. These educational materials will give you an entrance into this intriguing topic. Combine a hands-on session in Gjirokastra’s Ottoman-era World Heritage City with a study of these materials to design an internship or boost your resume. Our current studies focus on the Skenduli house, one of approximately 350 tower houses remaining – many in dire need of maintenance and preservation.
From serious scholars to interested travelers, this collection of materials offers a valuable education for all.
REPORTS AND DOCUMENTATION
- Skenduli House Wall Paintings: Conservation and Assessment Report. Adventures in Preservation and Institute of Cultural Monuments, September 2014.
- Skenduli House Conditions Assessment and Prioiritized Work Plan. Adventures in Preservation and Cultural Heritage without Borders, February 2012.
- Report for the 9th Restoration Camp. Restoration Camp 2012 / Skenduli House. Gjirokastra, Albania, Sept. 1-14, 2012. Cultural Heritage without Borders, Tirana 2012.
- Skëndulati House. Gjirokastra Conservation and Development Organization, Gjirokastra 2010.
- Gjirokaster Preliminary Inscription Documentation. Heritage Conservation Network (now Adventures in Preservation) 2008.
- UNESCO, World Heritage List: Historic Centers of Berat and Gjirokastra [listed since 2005].
Albanian Ottoman architecture
- Kreshnik Merxhani, Elena Mamani, Construction Materials in Historical and Monumental Buildings – Gjirokaster. Presented at: International Students’ Conference of Civil Engineering, ISCCE 2012, 10-11 May 2012, Epoca University, Tirana, Albania.
- Elena Mamani, Kreshnik Merxhani, Water Cisterns in Historical Houses – Gjirokastra, Albania. Presentated at: 2nd ICAUD International Conference in Architecture and Urban Design, 08-10 May 2014, Epoka University, Tirana, Albania.
- Ledita Mezinia, Dorina Pojani, Defence, Identity, and Urban Form: The Extreme Case of Gjirokastra, Planning Perspectives 2014.
- Machiel Kiel, Ottoman Architecture in Albania (1385-1912). Istanbul: Research Center for Islamic History, Art and Culture 1990 (Islamic art series. 5).
- Sahar Rassam, Kulla. A Traditional Albanian House Type in Kosovo. Presented at: UNESCO-ICOMOS World Millenium Congress, Paris, 10-12 September 2001.
Conservation in Gjirokastra
- Gani Strazimiri, “Gjirokastra dhe e saj kulturale” (Gjirokastra and its cultural value). In: Monumentet, 2, 1971, p. 85-102 [Albanian with French summary].
- Ilia Papanikolla, “Masat kundër lagështirës në banesën gjirokastrite” (Measures against humidity in buildings of Gjirokastra). In: Monumentet, 2, 1971, p. 103-118 [Albanian w. French summary].
- Thanas Kamberi, “Disa të dhëna mbi teknikën e ndërtimit të banesës Gjirokastrite” (About the construction techniques of houses of Gjirokastra). In: Monumentet, 2, 1971, p. 157-163 [Albanian with French summary].
- Leonard Suli, “Studim për restaurimin e banesës së Kabilajve në qytetin e Gjirokastrës” (Study of the restauration of the Kabilaj house in the town of Gjirokastra). In: Monumentet, 12, 1976, p. 107-132 [Albanian with French summary].
- Emin Riza, “Arkitektura dhe restaurimi i banesës së Zekateve – Gjirokastër” (Architecture and restoration of the Zekate house of Gjirokastra). In: Monumentet, 13, 1977, p. 107-132 [Albanian with French summary].
- Fatbardha Shkupi, “Zbukurimorja e disa banesave gjirokastrite” (Ornamental decor of some houses of Gjirokastra). In: Monumentet, 32, 1986, p. 99-115 [Albanian with French summary].
- Gilkes, Oliver, “Letter from Albania: Saving the Silver City. The effort to preserve Albania’s little known treasure”. In: Achaeology, vol. 62/3, May/June 2009, p. 49-54.
Conservation in the Eastern Mediterranean
- Conservation and the Eastern Mediterranean. Contributions to the Istanbul Congress, 20-24 September 2010. Edited by Christina Rozeik, Roy Ashok, David Saunders. London: International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works 2010.
Conservation of wall paintings
- Paolo Mora, Laura Mora, Paul Philippot, Conservation of wall paintings. London, Boston: Butterworths 1984 (1st edition 1977, in French).
- Sandra Botticelli, Silvia Botticelli, Metodologia di restauro delle pitture murali. Firenze: Centro Di della Edifirmi s.r.l. 1992.
- The Conservation of Wall Paintings. Proceedings of a symposium organized by the Courtauld Institute of Art and the Getty Conservation Institute, London, July 13-16, 1987. Edited by Sharon Cather. Los Angeles: The Getty Conservation Institute 1991.
- Paint research in building conservation. Edited by Line Bregnhøi, Helen Hughes, Jenni Lindbom, Tone Olstad, Edwin Verweij. London: Archetype 2006.
- All manner of murals. The history, techniques and conservation of secular wall paintings. Proceedings of the Secular Wall Paintings Symposia organised by the Icon Stone and Wall Paintings Group and supported by English Heritage, London 2004-5. Edited by Robert Gowing, Robyn Pender. London: Archetype 2007.
coming soon …